The Digital Switchover 2025, also known as the Analogue to Digital Transition or Digital Migration, is a transition from traditional analogue landline and telecom services to digital alternatives. This shift involves phasing out the aging analogue infrastructure and embracing modern digital technologies. Find out what this means for your business and how Cubo can support the change.
The Analogue Switch Off:
The Analogue Switch Off (ASO) is a major change to the way that phone and broadband services are delivered in the UK. By 2025, all analogue phone lines and broadband services will be switched off, and everyone will need to switch to digital alternatives. The analogue, copper wire phone network (also known as public switch telephone network – or PSTN) is being retired, meaning you’ll no longer be able to use your landline phone.
To keep your landline and other PSTN systems running, you’ll need to switch to a digital, internet-based alternative such as 3CX, a next generation office phone system from Cubo.
Why is the analogue copper landline network being switched off?
- It is outdated and inefficient. Analogue technology is over 100 years old, and it is not as efficient as digital technology. This means that it is more expensive to maintain and operate.
- It is not capable of supporting new services. The analogue copper network cannot support new and innovative services, such as high-speed broadband, video calling, and VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol).
- It is less reliable. The analogue copper network is more prone to interference and outages than digital networks. This is because analogue signals are more sensitive to weather conditions and other factors.
When will the digital rollout and analogue switch-off happen?
All analogue systems will be turned off by December 2025, but Openreach will be switching off UK services at different stages. The first stage of the digital switchover is called the ‘stop sell’ phase and is already underway. When this happens, no more traditional phone line services and FTTC broadband will be sold to new and existing customers in that area. Openreach has also said it will stop selling traditional phone lines in all exchange areas by September 2023.
What does this mean for my business?
In summary, you’ll need to assess your business communication infrastructure and if your business is still connected to an analogue, copper phone line, then you’ll need to switch to a digital, internet-based alternative.
The switch won’t just affect landline phones, it will affect anything that connects to PSTN, including fire and security alarms, boiler controls, CCTV, and door-entry systems. To avoid disruption when the switchover happens, you should check with your provider to see if these systems will be digital compatible or if they’ll need upgrading.
How can Cubo help your business with the digital switchover?
Cubo’s team of experts have been delivering innovative telecoms solutions since 2001 and have been trusted by hundreds of businesses of all shapes and sizes across the UK and Ireland for their telecoms requirements including mobiles, phone systems and broadband.
Our process is simple.
- We take the time to understand your business requirements and will assess your existing infrastructure for the Digital Switchover suitability.
- We partner with the most innovative companies such as 3CX to bring you the best technology to keep you connected.
- We take pride in our customer service and will take care of implementation, training, and provide support through a dedicated account manager.
- We stay in touch to ensure you get the most from your new digital technology.
What is 3CX?
3CX is more than just a phone system, it is a complete Unified Communications solution, offering a host of high end features in one solution such as call flow designer, messaging, calls, live chat, video conferencing, iOS and Android apps, email and more – without the cost and management headaches of an ‘old style’ phone system or the limitations of a shared cloud VoIP/PBX service.
It’s perfect for SME’s and growing businesses due to its cost efficiency and flexibility and works with a range of phone hardware.
What are the benefits of 3CX?
- Can be hosted on a remote server, on-premise (on a local server) or both for extra resilience.
- Easy set-up and integration with other business systems including leading HubSpot, Microsoft Dynamics, and Salesforce.
- Call flow designer to easily create strategic call flows and voice applications to enhance customer service.
- Live chat to engage with website visitors in real time and social messaging through WhatsApp and SMS.
- Take your business phone anywhere with iOS / Android apps to keep your team connected via calls, video conference & chats.
- Massive cost savings for UK and ROI companies.
3CX Key features
Other future considerations:
While the analogue switch-off will see every premise in the UK move to digital phone lines by 2025, many of these lines will still be delivered over existing copper connections. The copper switch-off will see these copper lines being replaced with fibre, providing higher levels of capacity and reliability. This will impact around 25 million premises in the UK, including any business whose network connections are supplied via copper cables.
The Analog Phone Switch-Off 2025 and Copper Switch-Off are watershed moments in the evolution of communication technology. While they present challenges and necessitate adjustments, they also herald the arrival of a new era of improved voice and data communication services. By staying informed, evaluating your equipment, and embracing digital solutions, you can navigate these transitions successfully and leverage the benefits of a more connected and efficient communication environment.
Get in touch with Cubo today and prepare for the Digital Switchover